This is Impossible, Apart from the Gospel
Do everything in love. 1 Cor. 16:10
Heavenly Father, “Do everything in love?… seriously? I know you don’t exaggerate, just to make a point, so, I’m going to take this command at face value. Which means I must take the gospel even more seriously.
We love you (or anyone), because you first loved us and gave Jesus as a sacrifice and propitiation of our sins. You love us this very day, in this very moment, without condition or limits, or qualifiers or disqualifiers. It’s only because of your great love for us in Jesus, that we can risk loving in the messy places, difficult circumstances, and unexpected providences of life. Here are a few that come to mind today. Father…
- Help me love well, when I’d rather be defensive, right, and remain a bit smug.
- Help me love well, when I’m tired, frustrated, and lost—walking around an unfamiliar city; or driving to an appointment or to pick up a friend.
- Help me love well, when I see a homeless person, wrapped in their tattered sleeping bag, as the sun and temperature begin to drop.
- Help me love well, when it’s time to confront a matter at work, in friendship, or at church, but I’d rather avoid the conflict.
- Help me love well, when my spouse needs to talk, and I just want to go to bed.
- Help me love well, in a culture of political diatribe, divisive personalities, and unfiltered harshness.
- Help me love well, when my takeout order is wrong, my UPS delivery is late, or guests show up early
- Help me love well, and not just use kindness or niceness to get something
- Help me love well, when those I’m with don’t care diddly-squat about Jesus, the gospel, or eternal matters
- Help me love well, when I don’t have control over people, situations, or outcomes.
Father, keep me daily, make that hourly, alive to your tenacious, wild, outrageous, joyful, transforming love for us Jesus. So very Amen I pray, in His merciful and mighty name.
from Scotty Smith Posts – The Gospel Coalition http://ift.tt/2mnfPFg